Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Hong Kong and Tokyo November 2011 - Part 4

This is part four of our little report from the game arcades in Hong Kong and Tokyo. If you have missed the previous parts, please look in the backlog.

We continued walking along the same Akihabara street, and arrived at yet another Sega location. This time the sign said Club Sega. If you ever travel to Tokyo, you can find the building by looking at the map and pictures from Google street view:



View Larger Map

...if you want to find it, that is! I was quickly losing faith in the Akihabara game arcades. The bottom floors were literally filled with cranes. Do they seriously want me to waste 100 yen to try to get a plush toy or a towel? At least the prizes should be Sega related, but they weren't. I understand that these machines must generate more revenue than classic games, but I honestly expected more from the company that brought us Out run, Space Harrier and Super Hang-on.

As I quickly moved my way up the floors, my thoughts went back to the Hong Kong arcades. You may think "is he crazy?" and say that this looks wonderful, but you must remember that I was playing heaps of great games just a couple of days earlier.
Even I, someone coming from a country with virtually no game arcades, can get spoiled. Fast.


The entrance sure looks tempting. Some of the buildings had great welcome mats at the entrance, and I kind of wished they sold smaller ones as souvenirs.

What's this? Virtua Fighter 5?

Rows of them!

These guys must love Virtua Fighter.

It's that something-something 3DX Plus again.

Not many people play this anymore. It's kind of old, but not old enough to be retro. Besides, I prefer Percussion Master.


Are you getting tired of my whining? It will get better, I promise! My mood takes a turn for the better in the next post.
Have you ever been to Japan? Or is it your dream to go to Akihabara? Please leave a comment!

No comments:

 
All content is copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission.