Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hong Kong and Tokyo November 2011 - Part 7

I'm writing a series of posts about our holiday in Hong Kong and Tokyo back in November 2011. You may have guessed it from the title headline that this is part 7. If you've missed the earlier posts, please look at the backlog.

We had a great day in Akihabara already, especially in Taito Hey and Club Sega. We had been here for so many hours, from morning to evening. Was I getting tired of playing games? Absolutely not!
Continuing on the same road, we saw a great looking building.. Taito Station! Here's the Google street view for you:


View Larger Map

The building is very visible even from afar, because of this beautiful cube on top with the space invader design. It really tempts you to come closer and enter the arcade.


I saw a guy on a forum the other day who had incorporated the Taito Station logo in his game room. It looked great! Imagine having one of these signs on the wall!
But.. What is this? We can already see that the entrance area is filled with cranes. Not looking good! I still need to go inside and look at what they have, but at this point I'm not very optimistic. I was thinking back to the buildings we had visited in the beginning of the day, and I expected this to be more of the same.


...and I was right! This Taito Station had some nice Egret cabinets (which is expected, it's Taito after all), but most of the games were of little or no interest to me.
Again, for those of you who think I'm crazy for writing this, you must realize that I was kind of spoiled with games at this time. It would take more than the usual fighting games to impress me after this long day of arcades.













We looked around a bit, but we only stayed for a couple of minutes. To be honest I just took the pictures in a hurry and left. Akihabara has so much to offer, so why spend time in a place that doesn't have anything special to offer? I realize that this sounds terrible, but there's just so many hours in a day!

I'm not interested in arcade and pinball games. Of course I also like classic consoles and computers! I'm sure many of you feel the same, as many of us grew up with these machines for home use. The Akihabara district is famous for shops selling classic games for consoles. I didn't research much before my holiday, and when we came home I learned that I had missed a huge retro shop in the area. It doesn't matter so much to me, to be honest, as I feel I have most of the console items I could wish for. And we passed by a little shop on our walk between the arcades. The walls were packed with cartridges for Gameboy, Super Famicom, Megadrive and other consoles of yesteryear! Most of them were loose without box, but the prices were reasonable.




They also had consoles, peripherals and various cool items. There were a lot of tempting items, but I didn't end up buying anything. Just look at those nice Bomberman multiplayer adapters and the boxed Nintendo 64.





At the entrance they had a nice (but new) product, which enables you to play both Famicom and Super Famicom games on the same console. The price was very reasonable, at 4980 yen. I already have both of those consoles, so I passed.


Our day in Akihabara was coming to an end, but we still had a couple of buildings to visit before going back to our hotel in Shinjuku. Please come back soon, and I will write about a surprisingly nice arcade inside a random shopping mall!

No comments:

 
All content is copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission.