Friday, August 24, 2012

SEGA Football Manager foosball table

Sometimes you're just lucky. I was browsing the local Craigslist equivalent when I spotted an incredibly cheap foosball table. And it was just 5 minutes from home!
The price was so low that I was wondering if there was a good old fashioned misprint on the interwebs. I called the seller, and he confirmed that the asking price was in fact 200 kr. That's less than 35 USD, guys!
Ok, foosball tables aren't that expensive to begin with, but there was something special about this one.



Can you see the SEGA logo in the lower left corner?
Of course it's not manufactured by SEGA, it's only branded in conjunction with the release of one of their Football Manager games. I believe the copyright text said 2009. I must admit that I haven't played a manager game since the Commodore 64 days, but this foosball table rocks!

I called a friend, and we agreed to pick it up at 5 pm that very same day. He has a station wagon, so we thought it would be possible to transport the game in his car. Well.. Easier said than done!
When we arrived at the seller's house, it was obvious that this game was much larger than we had imagined. It was easily 80 x 150 cm, plus those rods sticking out everywhere. This was in his basement, so we had to remove the legs to get the foosball table up the stairs anyway. My friend ran upstairs to compare the space in his car with the dimensions of the game. "There might be a small chance than we can fit it", he said. And with that, we decided to carry up upstairs and give it a go.

Alas, we had no such luck. No matter how we turned the table, it refused to enter the car. The rods simply made it too wide. We ended up having to spend some minutes to remove all the rods and players, and then he could finally drive away with the game.


The whole Football Manager thing intrigued me, so I talked to the seller about the origins of the game. He had purchased it a year ago from someone who won it in a competition.
I googled for similar foosball tables, but all I could find was a 2005 competition for a similar game:


That one was definitely smaller (or are my eyes playing tricks on me again?) and less sophisticated. It's missing the nice beverage holders the newer model has, and I'm not a big fan of wood grain.
I could see several of these older style tables being given away in competitions that year, but none like the one we just picked up.

Now we just need to find space for it in our game room!


No comments:

 
All content is copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission.