Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Space Invaders II sold

I had filled my garage with arcade cabinets after my little local roadtrip. Luckily I got them all moved inside before the snow fell. As you may remember, I have plans for most of the six Space Invaders cabs that I picked up:
  • I am keeping one blue (SI1) and one red (SI2) for myself.
  • My friend who helped me tidy the op's garage is getting a blue cab.
  • My friend Arch is buying one blue and one red cab.
That left one, which I put up for sale on the local Craigslist equivalent. I honestly thought that it would sell fairly quickly. Even though the inside of the cabinet is pretty much gutted it still had a Hantarex monitor and a switching power supply, and when did you last see a Taito Space Invaders cabinet in Norway? In 1985, that's when!



The cabinets cleaned up quite nicely. Although they all had some scratches and dents, this one was in decent shape. But to my surprise, I didn't get much interest on the ad. It seemed like I just lived too far away for most people.
I received an email from a guy living 400 km away. I didn't get my hopes up that someone would actually travel that far for an empty cabinet, but he said he would. And today he picked it up and paid for it. I'm happy to see that someone shares my love for these games. He even rented a van and drove all the way up here just to pick it up. I'm sure the rental car and gas cost him more than the cabinet itself!

Here are some pictures how it looked when I sold it.

Right side, with the cabinet's twin brother in the background!

The kickplate has some wear, but I love the warning plaque!

The buyer plans to replace the Enigma II bezel with a repro Space Invaders.

I hope that he will keep me informed about his restoration process. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

No comments:

 
All content is copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission.